These were not directed to me or Mrs G, but it sure does beg a question - what is the meaning of wishes "Selamat Hari Raya, Maaf Zahir Batin"? As a means to apologise or licence to bitch?
1) Napa ko alum kawin lagi kan? (Why are you not married yet?). - SO? What's your problem?they're not burdening you, are they!
2) Napa ko alum keraja lagi? (Why are you not working yet?) - see above
3) Eh balum ada anak lagi? (Eh! No children yet?) - yeah, like you have a barn of kids?!
4) Gamuk jua ko! (You're so fat!) - Are you feeding him/her?
5) Kurus jua ko! (You're so skinny!) - Will you be feeding him/her then?
6) Adimu pulang dulu kawin? (My! Your younger sibling got married before you?) - So, like your ELDER brother is married??
7) Balik-balik jua ko pakai baju ani! Nada baju lain kah? (You're wearing the same dress over and over again! Don't you have anything else to wear?) - Don't look lah?
8) Eh jangan tah diet bah - inda jua ko mau kurus tu... (Eh! You don't need to diet - you won't be able to lose those weight...) - your point is? At least I am trying!
9) Nada ku buat eh, mana ada masa ku, mun housewife buleh lah (I didn't bake any of this, I don't have all the time like a housewife does) - Try to be a full time housewife - take Lynette Scavo of Desperate Housewives as an example. Busy kali jua ah housewife... Do not ever look down on them!
10) Maaf ah, kosong kosong! (Sorry, nil-nil ok) - You think just by saying that people will easily forgive you? You think life is football?
Well, Like I said the above were compiled during our visits. Come on lah, we must embrace the true spirit of Hari Raya, to forgive, to celebrate when we are given this rare opportunity to meet long lost cousins, not to tear people's feelings and heart with your razor sharp tongue.
Anyway, Selamat Hari Raya from me, Gembo, the observer.... still bitter with the first few comments directed sinisterly to my very close family member.