Tuesday 30 June 2009

Paths of Glory . . . Finished

I had to stay at home yesterday, part of the self-quarantine since I just returned from an affected country.

Apart from sleeping due to medications to solve my blocked ear, I managed to finish the book, a marathon 100 pages in 3 hours.

The story is mostly based on true accounts (non-fiction), but to me the fictional bits are when Mallory and Irvine actually stepped on the top summit - as there is no way to prove this, apart from assumptions that Mallory had promised his wife Ruth that he would leave her photo on the summit. His body was found in 1999 without Ruth's photo in his pocket, nor in his wallet.

I have to say this is a good read, but not as great as Jeffrey's previous novels. Personally I still loved the "Prisoner of Birth" and "Honour Among Thieves".

Nevertheless, to my bro Aziz, Rahman and dear friend Hajah Fauziah, I'd strongly recommend this book to you.

No comments: