Monday 29 June 2009

Paths of Glory



My latest read, and the longest I've ever taken to complete! I got the novel through the mail at the end of May.

I still have about a third of the novel left to go, but being curious I wikied the character in the novel (George Mallory) and it is almost non-fictious account of the English lecturer/climber who wanted to be the first to conquer Everest.

George never returned from his second attempt in 1924 and his body was found still intact in 1999, a few hundred metres from the summit. The release of this novel caused a controversy in New Zealand, home to Sir Edmund Hillary - the first person to reach the roof of the world, as an insult to the great man.

I am hoping to complete the book by this coming weekend. I brought the book along to KL and back, and read about half of it, whilst waiting for taxis, buses, laundry (YES! 8 days in KL we need to do laundry) but didn't get to finish it.

No comments: