Friday 20 August 2010

Al-Quran - How lucky we are, Alhamdulillah

Assalamualaikum Warahmatullah

Alhamdulillah, Allah have blessed me with another Ramadhan, the holy month which strangely enough, over the years I have been able to complete recitation of our holy book Al-Quran, which I couldn't even do in the other 11 months. For the last 11 months, I have only read less than 3 out of 30 Juz' of Al-Quran.

Anyway, after Subuh prayers at our local masjid this morning, I took one of the wakaf (donated) Al-Quran and sat with my back to one of the masjid pillars (my usual spot for the past 10 years!).

Getting ready to read, I had a look at the cover and saw a price tag of $8.90.  I immediately thought: How lucky we are, at this day and age, 1400 years after the revelation of Al-Quran that we are able to read Al-Quran, for a measly effort - each household would have at least a copy (I really hope so), every masjid has one or you can get it easily at the muslim bookstores. Just pick it up, Bismallah and you can read it.

Suddenly my mind travelled back to the infancy days of Islam, shortly after the passing of our beloved Rasul Muhammad Salallahu 'Alaihiwassalam. 70 Al-Hafiz (Al-Quran memorisers) died as martyrs in the Battle of Yamamah, between Muslim followers of Khalifah Abu Bakar against the Murtads (those who left the Islamic faith).

This loss was seriously felt by the Sahabah (companions of Muhammad Salallahu 'Alaihiwassalam.) who were concerned that more of the Al-Hafiz will fall in battles, that they should put the Al-Quran together otherwise it'll be gone just like that.

It was not until the third Khalifah, 'Uthman bin Affan that the Al-Quran became systematically organised into the 30 Juza - of which more details can be read from here.

Bismilla Hirrahmaa Nirrahim. Alhamdulilla Hirabbil 'Aalamin.

Wasalam
G

No comments: