Tuesday 31 August 2010

What's your name?

Bismillaa Hirrahmaa Nirrahiim


So, what's your name, or rather what's behind your name? Do you know the history or background to how you got that name?


I grew up with my grandparents, and only saw my parents in the weekends as they had to work in the capital.  My Mama (grandmum) raised me and my brothers lovingly, and one thing I do remember about Mama was she loved to tell stories.


I still remember one story about my name... I was named Awangku Azmi Rizal by my parents. My grandad however wanted to name me 'Ulul 'Azmi, after an expression he found in the Al-Quran. If my parents were to have another boy (which they actually did) he would have suggested 'Ulul 'Amri for his name, but that is not the subject for this story now.


'Ulul 'Azmi literally means the chiefs, or people who have stout/strong hearts.  However, in Al-Quran this title is accorded to only five Rasuls (prophets) for their perseverance and unusually strong commitment to Allah in the face of great suffering: Nuh, Ibrahim, Musa, Isa and lastly, our beloved Rasul Muhammad Sallallahu 'Alaihi Wassalam.


My parents were worried that if I were to be named 'Ulul 'Azmi I would be subjected to sneers, as the word 'Ulul rhymes with tahlol or bahlol (stupid).  


So eventually it seemed my grandad and my dad had a compromise, as my grandad got to name me 'Azmi and my dad added Rizal at the end - why? His name is Abdul Razak, so he wanted to maintain the AR... both my brothers are AR too.


Anyway, 'Azmi on its own means Ambition and Rijal (from where Rizal is derived) is man... I concluded myself that my name 'Azmi Rizal mean a Man with Ambitions heheh.


Wassalam
Gembo @ 'Ulul Azmi

No comments: